Okay, it's 8:05 in the morning on a Monday and math isn't my strong point. Let's review the goals and look at some numbers, shall we?
As Much As Possible Goals:
1. Not buy yarn. Yeah, that didn't really happen. The 2nd and 3rd quarters were the best, probably because it was hot. Also, damn you Vermont Sheep & Wool!
2. 1st in, 1st out. This didn't really happen either, but I did finish a project in one of my early purchases and started a sock in another, so I did make some progress.
3. Craft for charity first. I donated 17 loom hats to PatPat's Hats. While I didn't necessarily make them for charity, I was happy to donate them.
4. Projects for others before myself.
Well, I made my sister's birthday hat and finished my husband's Binary Scarf and made a matching Binary Hat. I also made a lot of stuff for myself, but it's a work in progress, okay?
5. 2 skeins a month.
6. USE IT UP. I certainly tried! I'll explain why this was a weird goal when we look at the numbers.
Stash in: 1003 yards
Stash out: 0 yards (I gave away a skein of yarn in March, but don't know the yardage.)
Net change: +1003 yards
Stash in: 480 yards
Stash out: 1431.4 yards
Net change:-951.4 yards
Stash in: 182 yards
Stash out: 2269 yards
Net change: -2087 yards
Stash in: 1129 yards
Stash out: 1238 yards
Net change: -109 yards
2011 net change: -2144.4 yards, or approximately -1.2 miles
This was a fun year-long goal, but am I glad it's over with! For the most part, I didn't stick with my goals. I had a feeling I wouldn't, but I'm glad I made them. They gave me some direction.
I don't think I'll be dieting this year, but I do plan to purchase more mindfully -- a.k.a. no more random skeins that don't have set purposes! I received gift cards to both a big box craft store and my LYS for the holidays, and I do have projects in mind for both.
I do intend to continue keeping track of my input and output, but I need to do so in a more organized fashion. I didn't actually track the 1st quarter, which made things difficult. You'll also notice that the 2nd quarter involved partial skeins, where the other quarters didn't. Apparently I forgot I was counting partial skeins and moved to counting only full skeins. Even though I purchase whole skeins, I think I'll count partial skeins when they get used in projects, as it's easier for me to remember to count them at the time and not later, when they've been used up (because honestly, that can take years!). Did that make any sense? I have no idea.
Also, I know this count isn't quite accurate. I purchased a skein of Kauni in January, but don't know the yardage, and at least one of my Sheep & Wool purchases isn't included either. But they don't change the negative stash accumulation. I need to inventory better.
My current inventory says I have 8.61 miles of yarn, in case you were wondering. This is after the stashdown, and no, it doesn't include the Kauni or that Sheep & Wool yarn and I guarantee you it doesn't include the sweater quantity of sport-weight yarn.
I'm working on it.