Thursday, February 19, 2009

Everyone Likes a Good Yarn!

Astute readers of my blog may have noticed my (intentional!) leaving out of some things in the last post. Like ... what books I ordered! Pictures of the spindle! And so on. All done for one good reason, dear readers: it gives me something to write about next time!

I honestly don't know much about the spindle kit. It appears to have been put together by one of our consignment dealers and included four different rovings, a half-box (to drop the spindle into?) and an Ashford spindle. Looking at their page, it appears to be the 2.8 oz student top whorl. As for the roving ... not a clue. I got four pretty colors of it, though!

My books came yesterday. Both of them focus more on the wheel than I thought they would, but do contain useful information for using the drop spindle. I purchased Hands On Spinning by Lee Raven (which I've mostly left alone, to be honest) and Start Spinning by Maggie Casey, which I've had a lot more luck with.

So ... I attempted to spin some yarn last night. Let's just say it didn't go so well! I've tried to watch YouTube videos, but either there aren't enough good hand close-ups or they go a little too fast for me. I did try, and it kind of looks like yarn, but I was disappointed that it wasn't perfect the first time around (me, a perfectionist? never!).

handspun

Wait a minute ... I think that IS yarn! Look at that! It's not very good yarn, and it's not a lot of yarn ... but that looks like a single to me. Not too shabby! Though I forsee a lot of money getting sucked out of my wallet going to more practice fiber ... Sigh. The sacrifices I'll make!

1 comment:

miukat said...

It's so shiny and twisty and fluffy and YARN-LIKE! You did it! In a few months, you won't be able to do it anymore like that :D