Saturday, December 12, 2009

My Very First Knit

That's right, your special treat for today is to see what my very first knit looks like. I was putting stuff away the other night and found my first scarf, which has mostly been used as a draft blocker these days. I look back on it in shame, but now you get to look at it and laugh, so it's all good.

First, a little background. I inherited some knitting and crocheting supplies back in October of 2004 (aka before YouTube). I looked up how to knit on the internet. I was working with Red Heart Super Saver. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Red Heart, but it was basically a recipe for disaster. I think these were knit on some size 15s I bought from Stitchy Women, which was my local yarn store at college. (Yeah, I went into a yarn store, bought nice bamboo needles, and worked this up on them. No, I don't know why either.)

DSC03469

Hey, it's not that bad! I like the colors, it's kind of funky ... wait, what's that at the bottom?

DSC03475

Ah, yes. The abort-o-fringe. Why I decided on fringe, I don't know. Why I decided on inch-long fringe ... I must have been drinking.

I still wore it, because it was MY FIRST PROJECT OMG and I was a KNITTER. I imagine back then I even probably loved it. I also made a matching hat.

firsthat

(The hat came out a lot better.)

It also has a hole in it. I don't know how that happened.

DSC03482

Well. I went on to knit many other pieces of crap, but this holds a special place in my heart for being the very first.

DSC03470

A special, locked-up-so-no-one-can-see-it place.

No comments: