Saturday, September 3, 2011

ReCrafting Vermont

As you may know, Vermont was hit hard by Irene. Rivers flooded, and roads and bridges washed away, stranding many. People have lost possessions and livelihoods. Luckily, I am fine, but so many are not.

I am not a native Vermonter, but I am proud to say I live here when I see the massive efforts put forth to help others. Volunteer groups have sprung up literally overnight, which is amazing. Even the crafting community has pitched in to help.

I have culled this information from different sources and compiled it here. Hopefully this will make it easier for people to see what is being offered by the crafting community. I've done my best to make sure all information is accurate, but if you have any doubts, please contact the company or individual. I don't take any credit for getting out the initial word -- I'm just helping pass things along.

  • Green Mountain Spinnery in Putney is donating profits of the physical and online shops until September 11th to the Vermont Disaster Relief Fund. I've been lucky enough to visit the Spinnery. It is a lovely place filled with even lovelier people (and some very lovely yarn!). I can personally vouch for the awesomeness of the Spinnery Sock Art Forest, which I used in my Butterfly Moebius. I've also purchased 2 skeins of the Wonderfully Wooly, which is so pretty I've been afraid to use it. Please spread the word about Green Mountain Spinnery's generosity.

  • Green Mountain Fibers in Rutland is accepting 12" x 12" squares to be collected and sewn together into blankets for Irene victims. The squares can be knitted or crocheted, any weight, and any color, as long as they are made of a washable yarn. (I'm assuming they mean machine-washable.) You can see all this information on this image, this thread on Ravelry, or this thread on Ravelry. (I believe that a free Ravelry account is required to view threads.)



  • A group has been started on Ravelry called Warm Hats, Warm Hearts to make and collect a multitude of handknit objects to be distributed to Irene victims in Vermont and New York. There is also an e-mail address for this group, which I am more than happy to e-mail to anyone who can't see the group.

Phew! I think that's everything so far. If you know of other sales/volunteer opportunities for crafters in the Vermont area, please let me know and I will link them here.

Together, we're going to ReCraft Vermont.

No comments: