Saturday, July 26, 2008

Rust Goes Green

I have something super-exciting to show you all today. Something so exciting that I didn't even dare mention it before I finished it, because I was so afraid I was going to screw it up. I'd like to present to you the hardest thing I've ever made!

But first, I feel like you need back-story. I'm a girl who loves rectangles. Scarves and washcloths are where it's at, seriously. I made a hat once, but have never been able to replicate it. I started a sock, but didn't get past the cuff.

I've been wanting to make a market bag for a while, but the very popular Everlasting Bagstopper was more than a little intimidating. I've never picked up stitches or any of that kind of stuff. So while it seems like a great pattern, right now it's not for me. So when I learned how to crochet, I tried looking for patterns a real beginner like me could do.

You may recall that I've been crocheting for ... oh, like a month. In this time, I've made a bag that was a rectangle folded and sewn up the sides, and a few afghan squares. Go rectangles!

I was perusing Ravelry and found a bag that one of my friends had made. When I posted to ask her if it was a pattern a beginner could do, I got a message from the designer herself! Her personal assurances helped give me the courage to give it a try.

Now, it's not perfect, and I have a feeling I screwed up the joins for the rounds for the most part, but it functions and actually holds stuff! It's an absolutely fantastic pattern and I couldn't be more thrilled that I made it.

So now, without further ado, I present to you my Rust Goes Green.

Photobucket

Not too shabby, I think.

2 comments:

Jillsknit said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I think it looks wonderful and you've only been crocheting for a month!? Quite an accomplishment. Go forth and conquer the world!

Anonymous said...

I agree, excellent job! I'm working on planning a trip up to VT sometime in the end of summer or fall, we should have a yarn lunch! I'll let ya know when.