Sunday, March 7, 2010

IWTMT: Bettna

I'll be honest with you: today's IWTMT can be directly blamed on yesterday's tax-free holiday. Green Mountain Fibers advertised that not only would there be no sales tax, they'd take the equivalent percentage off the cost of most of their items. And so, even though I am on a yarn diet, even though I should be saving up for my planned yarn binge at Green Mountain Spinnery, I was weak. I rationalized. I said "Hey, I have to work today, why can't I go buy something nice? I want a swift or a ball winder. This will be useful for all that Spinnery yarn I bring home." And I bought a swift. And I saved enough on it that I also picked up Noro: Meet the Man Behind the Legendary Yarn, which was on my Christmas list.

Now, this book gets some low reviews on Amazon, and I'd like to address those, since I read the book while I was at work yesterday. The book is admittedly scarce when it comes to information about Mr. Noro and his company, but what is included is very interesting. I imagine Mr. Noro is a very private man and I think the author wanted to respect that. The subtitle of the book is misleading, though, and I think that the publisher had something to do with that.

Also, from what I understand, these are all previously-published patterns. This is great for someone like me, who doesn't have any of the Noro books, but not so great if you do. I'm not a fan of the "buttonhole" style that's very prevalent in these patterns, but I found a good 11 patterns that I did like a lot, and to me that's a good enough reason to buy the book.

When you $100 at Green Mountain Fibers and are a Frequent Fibers Club member, you get 20% off an applicable purchase to be used at your discretion. That's one of the reasons I chose this week's IWTMT, because 10 balls of Silk Garden is probably going to be expensive.

Blog, meet Bettna (Rav link). Bettna is one of the patterns in the book that I loved. I've never made a sweater or cardigan, but Silk Garden is so nice to work with I think I'd be willing. I like that the pattern incorporates horizontal and vertical stripes, because vertical stripes are pretty universally flattering. I think it manages to be chic and snuggly, which means I'm sold.

Bettna can be found in this book or in the Noro: Revisited book.

(Just an aside: I provide links that don't give me any financial benefit when you click on or purchase anything from them. I've considered doing that thing where you can make money from Amazon when people buy stuff they click on, but I'll let you know if I do!)

No comments: