Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Springing Forward

After this weekend's yucky rain, today was a welcome change: sunny, 55 degrees and gorgeous. Now, to some 55 degrees is really cold. When I lived in Connecticut, that was cold. But I live in Vermont now, where anything above freezing you open the windows to let in some fresh air. 55 degrees is practically summer.

I live in an upstairs apartment of a converted house. We have a little enclosed upper porch that's not big enough to do much of anything with. Today I found something to do with it.

DSC03719

Dragging that chair out was no easy task, since it doesn't fit through the door frame very well, and the futon kept sliding off, but I managed. I had some knitting, my Ann Budd book, a Marion Zimmer Bradley book, a tape measure and a glass of cream soda. Oh, and sunshine. Bliss.

I started a new charity hat with the yarn. I'm limiting the self-striping tendencies of this yarn by alternating from two different skeins every row. This is a technique I've used before when working with yarn of different dye lots, but I've never done it with two skeins of variegated yarn. (Thanks for the tip, The Essential Guide to Color Knitting Techniques!) So far, I love how it's turning out. I'll have to take a picture of one of the other hats I made from this yarn for comparison when the new one's done.

P.S. I didn't need the Ann Budd book. I know what I'm doing at this point!

P.P.S. I didn't need the MZB book either. But, you know, just in case.

P.P.S. I think I know why I don't make socks. Days like today are meant to be lived sock-free.

No comments: