Saturday, May 1, 2010

Knitting and Crochet Blog Week 2010: Day 6

Bring the fortune and life of a past finished project up to the present. Document the current state and use of an object you have knitted or crocheted, whether it is the hat your sister wears to school almost every day, or a pair of socks you wore until they were full of hole. Or maybe that jumper that your did just didn’t like that much…

twomittens

Ah, my first mittens. I think they're somewhere in the side drawer of my computer desk. I don't know, because I think I wore them once this winter.

I was so proud of these mittens. I used the yarn my husband bought me for Christmas 2008. I swatched (and washed the swatch, and didn't rip the swatch out to reuse the yarn). I followed a pattern. It was the first project I finished on DPNs. It was a pretty big deal.

And I don't wear them.

It's not because they're a little tight in the thumb -- I imagine if I blocked them I could fix that. No, it's because I hadn't yet learned about knitting ribbing on smaller needles and the ribbing is much too loose.

I could always insert a post-knit lifeline, frog the cuff, and reknit it down. Unfortunately, I wove in my ends really well, and I'm too annoyed to even try looking for them.

Maybe I'll just buy some elastic.

No comments: