Sunday, April 18, 2010

IWTMT: Ballband Dishcloth

I am a big fan of the mighty washcloth. My desire to knit socks may have been the main reason I started this blog, but washcloths are the reason I got back into knitting. It was January of 2008 and my mom and dad had just purchased a second house. I decided I wanted to knit her washcloths as a housewarming present, so I went to the store, bought some Lion Cotton and Kitchen Bright Dishcloths by Leisure Arts and made two cloths. Fun fact: I had never knitted and purled on the same row before, and I did with the Valentine Hearts cloth. It was harder than it should have been.

Anyway, the reason for the preamble is to show you how much I love washcloths. In fact, I don't even really like to call them dishcloths, because they're far more multi-purposeful than that and I just made up a word there! Everybody and their brother has probably made the Ballband Dishcloth (Rav link) popularized by the first Mason-Dixon book, but the pattern is offered free. I have the book, but I asked for it for Christmas. The nubby texture of this cloth should be great for scrubbing (and exfoliating!) and it also seems like a great way to stashbust and play with color. That's a trifecta of win, if you ask me.

No comments: