Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Knitting and Crochet Blog Week 2010: Day 2

Wouldja look at that, I appear to actually be keeping up with something.

Blog about a pattern or project which you aspire to. Whether it happens to be because the skills needed are ones which you have not yet acquired, or just because it seems like a huge undertaking of time and dedication, most people feel they still have something to aspire to in their craft. If you don’t feel like you have any left of the mountain of learning yet to climb, say so!

Oh man, I have so much to learn. I just started socks, and yarn overs. I mean, I'm like the kindergartner watching the high school kids through the window and dreaming about their life.

I have a lot of things saved in my Ravelry favorites that I never for one second dreamed I'd actually be able to do. Like this Kauni baby blanket (Rav link only), or the Phoenix Cardigan from Meg Swansen's Knitting (Rav link; the book is out of print). A sister pattern, Weeping Sun/Moon is purchasable and just as lovely. This Celtic Spirals sweater (Rav link only).

Or, if you want to get away from the sweaters/colorwork, any one of a million shawls. (Never worn a shawl in my life, by the way.) The Gail shawl (Rav link only). The Woodland shawl. The Chinook shawl.

I could keep going, but then I wouldn't have anything to post on IWTMT Sundays.

I do consider a lot of these projects out of my reach as a knitter for right now. I'm taking baby steps with stranded knitting and lace, and I may never work up the nerve to steek something or wear a shawl in public.

Then again, there's a somewhat cheesy saying I remember from a poster in sixth grade, and it's stayed with me for over a decade: reach for the moon. If you miss, you'll still land among the stars. I've got some bright and beautiful moons to reach for!

No comments: